Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Kitchen Update: Coffee Station

You’ve all heard about the power of paint to transform a space but what about the power of a basket?

In this case, a yellow paper basket.

Coffee Station Basket Before 2

This basket was originally home to my hair dryer and other bathroom essentials. It had lots of storage capacity which ultimately ended up being its downfall. I kept adding more stuff!

One day, after learning about Krylon’s Oil-Rubbed Bronze spray paint from my friend Wendy, I decided that this basket would be a good test project for a new colour.

The result was so lovely that a ripple effect took place in my kitchen.

First, the microwave moved, which meant that this . . .

Kitchen Left Side Before Switch WM

became this . . .

Coffee Station Switcheroo 1 WM

It’s not pretty but it’s a much better spot for an appliance that we do not use on a daily basis.

The microwave previously occupied a small countertop beside the fridge. The countertop was barely deep enough to house the microwave as well as a basket of frequently accessed snacks and cereal.

Now, that same countertop serves as a coffee station for our relocated coffee maker (a morning essential for Tim Horton’s addicted Mr. Mechanic) which is perfect because it sits directly below this . . .

Coffee Station Burlap Corkboard WM

My coffee sack cork board!

Coffee Station 1 WM

The basket keeps all of our coffee-making essentials in one place, frees up space in the cupboard and makes it look like we have more counter space in the kitchen – something that has always been an issue for us with the kitchen layout.

Coffee Station Essentials 1 WM

There’s a reason why you see that messy cord in the photo.

Not only does this made over basket house everything needed for brewing a hot coffee, it also holds my Magic Bullet.

The basket handle means that I can leave my Magic Bullet plugged in along with the coffee maker.

Cord through handle WM

When I want to make an iced cappuccino protein smoothie, I just pull it out of the basket letting the extra cord feed through the handle.

Coffee Station Countertop WM

Isn’t it amazing what a basket can do?

Pin It

P.S. Want another idea for how to make over a basket with spray paint? How about a two-toned effect?


I link up at:
Serenity Now, I {Heart} Naptime, Under The Table And Dreaming, Nifty Thrifty Things, Simply Klassic Home, Home Stories A to Z, Craftomaniac, Skip To My Lou, Not JUST A Housewife, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Alderberry Hill, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, A Diamond In The Stuff, Creatively Living, The Winthrop Chronicles, Clean & Scentsible, Oopsey Daisy, Lil’ Luna, Someday Crafts, Live.Laugh.Rowe, The 36th Avenue, aka design, House of Hepworths, 52 Mantels, Thrifty Decorating, Crafty Scrappy Happy, How To Nest For Less, Tatertots & Jello, The Grant Life, It’s Overflowing, Lolly Jane, Too Much Time, Six Sisters’ Stuff, Positively Splendid, My {Re}purposed Life, Unrefined By Design, Dragonfly Designs, Just Us Four, Liz Marie Blog and The Crafted Sparrow

4 comments:

  1. Magic Bullet - Magic Basket!! Your kitchen looks so organized and tidy. This is a constant struggle for me. It doesn't help that I am constantly painting, crafting and project-planning at the kitchen island!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The basket turned out great Claire! Your kitchen looks very organized. The new microwave spot is much better than where it was before. Ours used to take up our whole (little) counter too until we finally installed an above-the-range kind. Much better for a small kitchen! And I love Tim Horton's too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Claire! Most of us think of the dusty rose and blue geese of days gone by when we think of baskets but I use them all the time. Spray paint is a miracle :)

    xoxo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that is pretty amazing! Your kitchen is adorable and how nice to have a little coffee station!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...