Tuesday, May 15, 2012

DIY Etched Tumblers

Time for part two of my Mother’s Day gift!

Etched Square Banner

My Mom has always had a special glass for her water.  For many years it was a blue glass with a celestial design.  She even bought a back up glass before the store where she bought it went out of business!

After reading Karianne from Thistlewood Farm’s post about monogrammed glasses (among other things), I decided to make some personalized tumblers for my Mom.

I bought a package of plain glass tumblers from Walmart for $3.00. I made sure to choose a style that was smooth with a lot of surface area for my design. Note: As a precaution, thick glass is better for etching.

I thought about adding a monogram but I decided that I would stick with the flower theme from my first gift (and, as you will see on Friday, my card as well).

I created my design in Silhouette Studio and then cut it out of contact paper. If you don’t have a die cut machine, I have seen this done with everything from punched shapes to reinforcements.

Etched Glasses Screenshot WM

I used the flowers on one tumbler and the H20 shape from my original etching project on the other. For the step-by-step, please check out the tutorial!

After about 20 minutes, I wiped off the etching cream (it’s reusable – more bang for your buck!) and had two etched tumblers. I ran them through the dishwasher and then wrapped them up!

Etched Cup Flowers 1 WM

Etched Glass Flowers 2 WM

Glass Etching H2O 1 WM

Etched Glass H2O 2 WM


Dare I say, to quote many of my students, easy peasy?

Etched Square Film WM

If you’re looking for an inexpensive gift idea that can be completely customized, why not give etching a try?

Pin It

P.S. 99 GFC Followers! Oh my goodness!!!  Would you like to make my day and become follower 100?
I will be linking up here as well as to these great parties!

Thank you to all the hosts!

Home Stories A2ZWeekend Bloggy Reading


  1. Love the H2O bubbles! How did Mom react? I bet she was tickled pink!

  2. Claire,

    Those are amazing! I need to file this under....why didn't I think of the H2O bubbles! I am totally sharing this on facebook!


  3. Hey Claire! What a nice gift for your mom. I just learned about the Silhouette machine and the Cricut and now I want one really bad. They both look like a blast. I'd love to be able to do stuff like this.

    Great post!


  4. So cute! I bet your momma loved it! I was telling mine the other day about glass etching.. Ill have to try it! Right after I try cutting fabric with my Silhouette. ;)

  5. LOVE these!!!!! I have some etched glass bottles but hadn't considered doing it to glasses. I love the H2O one. I'm going to borrow that idea!

    Found you through the Once a month blog hop. I’m your newest follower. :)

  6. Love that H2O one especially! My science self wants to make one!

    Cute idea. These would be so cool as gifts. I have two weddings in with-in the month....I may have to be making some.



Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...