Tuesday, May 15, 2012

DIY Etched Tumblers

Time for part two of my Mother’s Day gift!

Etched Square Banner

My Mom has always had a special glass for her water.  For many years it was a blue glass with a celestial design.  She even bought a back up glass before the store where she bought it went out of business!

After reading Karianne from Thistlewood Farm’s post about monogrammed glasses (among other things), I decided to make some personalized tumblers for my Mom.

I bought a package of plain glass tumblers from Walmart for $3.00. I made sure to choose a style that was smooth with a lot of surface area for my design. Note: As a precaution, thick glass is better for etching.

I thought about adding a monogram but I decided that I would stick with the flower theme from my first gift (and, as you will see on Friday, my card as well).

I created my design in Silhouette Studio and then cut it out of contact paper. If you don’t have a die cut machine, I have seen this done with everything from punched shapes to reinforcements.

Etched Glasses Screenshot WM

I used the flowers on one tumbler and the H20 shape from my original etching project on the other. For the step-by-step, please check out the tutorial!

After about 20 minutes, I wiped off the etching cream (it’s reusable – more bang for your buck!) and had two etched tumblers. I ran them through the dishwasher and then wrapped them up!

Etched Cup Flowers 1 WM

Etched Glass Flowers 2 WM

Glass Etching H2O 1 WM

Etched Glass H2O 2 WM

Easy!

Dare I say, to quote many of my students, easy peasy?

Etched Square Film WM

If you’re looking for an inexpensive gift idea that can be completely customized, why not give etching a try?

Pin It

P.S. 99 GFC Followers! Oh my goodness!!!  Would you like to make my day and become follower 100?
 
I will be linking up here as well as to these great parties!

Thank you to all the hosts!

Home Stories A2ZWeekend Bloggy Reading

6 comments:

  1. Love the H2O bubbles! How did Mom react? I bet she was tickled pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire,

    Those are amazing! I need to file this under....why didn't I think of the H2O bubbles! I am totally sharing this on facebook!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Claire! What a nice gift for your mom. I just learned about the Silhouette machine and the Cricut and now I want one really bad. They both look like a blast. I'd love to be able to do stuff like this.

    Great post!

    Sarah
    http://skylarinc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I bet your momma loved it! I was telling mine the other day about glass etching.. Ill have to try it! Right after I try cutting fabric with my Silhouette. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE these!!!!! I have some etched glass bottles but hadn't considered doing it to glasses. I love the H2O one. I'm going to borrow that idea!

    Found you through the Once a month blog hop. I’m your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that H2O one especially! My science self wants to make one!

    Cute idea. These would be so cool as gifts. I have two weddings in with-in the month....I may have to be making some.

    --Kaite

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...