Monday, May 28, 2012

A Bit of Pinspiration: Bird’s Nest Pendants

Happy Monday, everyone! I’m back with another Pinterest-inspired project, or as I like to call it, ‘pinspiration’

 

Sarah Ortega Pinspired WM

As you may know, I enjoy making or repurposing jewelry. I can find my way around chains, clasps and jump rings, but I don’t do a lot of work with wire.

That all changed when I pinned this beautiful image to my DIY Jewelry Board:

 

Pinterest Capture Bird's Nests 2

Source: Sarah Ortega via Claire on Pinterest

Aren’t they gorgeous? You can view the full tutorial here.

All of the jewelry on Sarah Ortega’s website is completely my taste and the way that she styles her photographs is stunning. I aspire to take photos like hers one day!

I initially made several ‘test nests’ with galvanized wire from Dollarama and faux pearls, but then I became paranoid that wearing something made from galvanized wire was going to give me a rash on my neck.

I found my brown (or copper-coloured) craft wire in the jewelry-making supplies at Michaels. One package was enough wire to make more than 5 nests.

I wanted the eggs to look like robin’s eggs so I bought a string of beads that was a mix of the solid blue and speckled green.

Since I already had all the other jewelry-making supplies, the cost for multiple nests was less than $10.

Check out my PicMonkey collage below (a new feature that I just spotted this weekend!):

Bird's Nest Collage Watermark

 

Bird's Nest Zoom WM

 

Nest Trio 2 WM

 

Two Colour Nest WM

 

Bird's Nest Zoom Square

And, one more, using PicMonkey’s “dusk” effect.

 

Nest Trio Dusk Effect

 

Thank you, Sarah Ortega for sharing your tutorial so that I could learn how to make this beautiful pendant!

 

Two Colour Nest Zoom Square Banner WM

 

Have a creative week . . . and stay cool!

Pin It

P.S. You can view two more of my jewelry projects here and here!


I’ll be linking up at: Serenity Now, I {Heart} Naptime, Under The Table And Dreaming, Nifty Thrifty Things, Simply Klassic Home, Home Stories A to Z, Craftomaniac, Skip To My Lou, Not JUST A Housewife, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Alderberry Hill, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, A Diamond In The Stuff, Creatively Living, The Winthrop Chronicles, Clean & Scentsible, Oopsey Daisy, Lil’ Luna, Live.Laugh.Rowe, The 36th Avenue, aka design, House of Hepworths, 52 Mantels, Thrifty Decorating, Crafty Scrappy Happy, How To Nest For Less, Tatertots & Jello, The Grant Life, It’s Overflowing, Lolly Jane, Too Much Time, Six Sisters’ Stuff, Positively Splendid and The Crafted Sparrow

Thank you to all the hosts!


13 comments:

  1. Claire! These are marvellous! Pretty and earthy and so eye-catching. I've never tried jewellery-making, but her tutorial is a good place to start. Now do I really need another type of craft supply in my already bursting basement craft area?? Are you going to give your nests as gifts or sell them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just mentioned these very things on my most recent blog post, but it hadn't occurred to me to make them myself! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, I hadn't seen these before. How great that you got the pinspiration and just did it. Everyone will be asking you about them, I bet. Thanks for stopping over at Quirky Vistas to leave me a sweet comment about my little rascal. I appreciate you taking the time!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These turned out great! They truly have a professional look to them! You have a knack for creating great jewelry pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire,

    I love this project! I pinned the exact same pin....but I never thought of making it with the copper! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    blessings,
    karianne

    PS I'm pinning this now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bird nest pendants are so cute!!
    visiting from the weekend wrap-up party.

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love handmade jewellery! Your bird's nest turned out wonderfully pretty! You should make earring too! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always loved those bird's nest necklaces! Beutiful!
    xo,
    Shannon
    P.S. Thank you for linking up to our party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these!! So beautiful. I have a birds nest necklace from Etsy that I love.
    I'd love it if you'd share at Off the Hook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so very cute!! What a fun idea. We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nests look lovely! They really turned out beautifully. I'm so glad you liked the tutorial :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...