Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kitchen Shelving Transformation – Chalkboard Labels

Today’s project is the final kitchen shelving transformation project (that you have already seen) and it is another simple, inexpensive DIY.

Chalkboard Labels Banner WM
To make these labels, I used chalkboard vinyl (I purchase mine at Dollarama but I have seen it for sale on Amazon) and my Silhouette Cameo. However, if you do not own a Silhouette or chalkboard vinyl you could use a craft punch and paper or labels painted with chalkboard paint (spray or acrylic).

There are a lot of label shapes available in the Silhouette store. I knew that I wanted to use a shape that complemented the quatrefoil design on the metal tubs that were my inspiration for the colour of my accessories. I also wanted the label to camouflage the seam of the bucket because the pattern does not line up properly.

Macbeth Bucket
The shape that I chose was part of the set 7 labels.

7 Label Screenshot
After ungrouping the labels, I selected the flourish shape and duplicated it to fill the page, rotating as necessary. I stretched the edges of the shape slightly to make it longer. I used two different sizes so that I would have some left for labels in the future.

Flourish Labels Screenshot
Then, I trimmed a piece of chalkboard vinyl to the dimensions of my design and sent it to cut on my Silhouette. I used the cut settings Blade 1, Speed 5, Thickness 8. I cut the chalkboard vinyl using the cutting mat.

I attached the labels to each container and then added a label with a piece of chalk.

Chalkboard Labels

I am left-handed, which means that when I write with chalk my hand often smudges what I have written (thank goodness for whiteboards in classrooms). I own a chalk marker and prefer writing with this, but for this project I liked the authenticity of smudged chalk on my labels. I just have to remind myself that it doesn’t have to be perfect to be pretty!

Chalkboard Label zoom
I am still learning how to create attachments to share with my readers. I apologize because the lines are a bit blurry, but if you would like a download of the shape that I used for my labels, I have created a PDF to share with you.

If you print this on the reverse of your paper or labels you can cut the shape out before or after painting it with chalkboard paint. A great tutorial for how to do this can be found here.

The total cost for this project would be less than $2 since the vinyl was $1.00 and I already owned the chalk. 

Chalkboard Labels Banner 2
With that, I have shared all the details of my DIY projects that helped transform the kitchen shelves with the exception of my secret project.  Just like my paint chip eggs, it makes me giddy! I can’t wait to share it with you!

See you tomorrow!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. These labels would be perfect for me because I'm always using containers for different things! I love the colors of your bins!!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  2. These came out great! I definitely need a Silhouette in my life soon! Thanks for stopping by and showing some love :o) I'm following your lovely blog back! Take care!

    Christine @ First Home...Love Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to stop by again and let you know I'm passing along the Liebster Award to you :) Come check it out at http://www.firsthomelovelife.com/2012/03/ive-been-awarded.html

      xo-Christine

      www.firsthomelovelife.com

      Delete
  3. Claire! These are wonderful : ) I love the bins and the labels...you are really rockin the projects now aren't you : ) sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...