Sunday, March 25, 2012

Kitchen Shelving Transformation – Die Cut and Free {Our House} Printable

Time for the fourth project from my kitchen shelving transformation (which was featured on Home Stories A to Z today – so exciting!).  To date, I have shared about the burlap board, the painted wooden boxes and the metal tray upcycle.

Today, it’s all about my “faux printable,” with a special download for my fabulous readers.

Our House Printable - Banner

This faux printable sits on top of a dresser that I bought off of Kijiji (like Craigslist) last year to add some additional storage in the kitchen. It is usually where I display a vignette for the current season or holiday.

I came across this quote somewhere a few months ago and saved it because I thought it went well with my approach to housekeeping. I’m not saying that my house is filthy, I just enjoy doing other things instead of cleaning.


Our House Kitchen Sign New WM

This “faux printable” was once again created using my Silhouette. I used the same technique as I described here for the words “healthy” and “happy”. Then, I used a white sketch pen in place of the cutting blade for the rest of the text.  Although it worked well and was very easy, I find the white does not stand out as much as I would like against the Kraft paper background.

Here is what my printable looked like in Silhouette Studio prior to cutting:

Faux Printable Screenshot

Red = everything cut with the blade (including an 8 X 10 rectangle so that it would fit perfectly into my frame)

Blue = everything “cut” with the sketch pen

You can cut and sketch on the same paper by simply switching the blade and cut settings without removing the cutting mat from the machine in between.

Since I know that only a small population owns a Silhouette, I thought that I would try my hand at creating a printable in Picasa and Picnik (did you see the upgrades that they made to Picasa – it looks like they’ve added in a few formerly Picnik-only features).

I started designing in Picasa so that I could use the same fonts as the Silhouette version (Mossy and Traveling Typewriter) and then I added the burlap textured background and frame in Picnik.



I used almost the same colour scheme as the accessories on the kitchen shelves but, if you can think of another colour combination that would work more universally, please let me know and I’ll see what I can do!

The file is saved with the settings recommended for an 8 x 10 print and I was able to print it in both 8 x 10 and 5 x 7 format with a border when I selected “shrink to fit” in Picasa.



If you feel like this quote describes your home as well, you can download my first printable here.

Thank you so much for visiting!
Pin It
Linking up to these great parties as well as those on my Link Parties page!
Thank you to all the amazing hosts!

Home Stories A2Z

4 comments:

  1. Big congrats on your feature!!!
    The printable is super cute-Pinned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! I can't wait to make this printable for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and so true! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...