Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Kitchen Shelving Transformation - The Burlap Board

Welcome back! 

Today I am sharing the first of several projects created by my March Break kitchen shelving transformation.

The Burlap Board - banner

It will take longer to write about this project than it did to actually make it. Seriously.

This project was necessary because of this eyesore hiding at the back of this space.

Outlet Eyesore

A non-functioning outlet that the previous owners had attempted to paint. Yuck.

For three years there has been a clock leaning precariously over this ugliness. I knew it could be improved upon but did not want to do anything permanent.

Then I found across this great idea for changing up the look of your shelving on Pinterest and the gears started turning.

Source: Yummy Mummy Club via Claire via Shannon Acheson on Pinterest

I could have used a piece of hardboard cut to size, but this opening (like everything else in our kitchen . . . or house) is neither straight or a uniform size! I needed to use something more forgiving that I could cut with a blade instead of a saw.

Enter one piece of foam core board from Dollarama. I love this stuff! I even used it to make a “shelf” in my beautiful craft closet.

After an unsuccessful shopping trip to find fabric or shelf liner to fill the space, I realized that I already had exactly what I needed – burlap! It was neutral, rustic and fit with the vintage-look of the other accessories in the space.

So, determining my materials was the hard part. The rest, since we’re talking about a kitchen project, was a piece of cake!

Burlap Board wide

To create my burlap board I:

1. Roughly measured the space to be covered.

2. Traced the same dimensions onto the foam core board.

3. Cut the foam core (a rotary blade worked really well to cut through both layers).

4. Tested the board and found that it was too big for the space.

5. Trimmed the board down further keeping in mind that burlap wrapped around the edge would create some bulk.

6. Cut a slightly larger piece of burlap to wrap around the board.

7. Wrapped the burlap around the board and attached it with painter’s tape.

8. Tested the board again to make sure it would fit with the burlap.

9. Attached the burlap to the board with duct tape.

Burlap zoom WM

Once I knew that the board would fit, I added a screw for hanging a clock and since the core of the board is foam, I was able to actually screw this into the board to give it more grip.

When I hung the clock up, the board kept tipping forward from the weight of the clock.

Simple solution – two pieces of Velcro to attach the board to the wall. Problem solved.

Cupboard Outlet

 

Burlap Board No Banner

A dramatically different look for under $5.00.

This idea could be adapted to update any space that needs a little pop of colour or texture!

Stay tuned for details on the next project!

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Love that fact that it was less than $5.00.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh.. how cute! And so simple! I love it :) And your grocery sign is perfect right underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! Much better!!

    I am a new follower stopping by from the blog hop. I would love to have you stop by my blog and check it out. http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! I love that it is removable. You could change the look whenever you wanted.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, and the foamcore is brillant! Really pretty. Found you from the Blog Hop! I would love to have you stop by and say "hi"! http://thesweetestmemoryblog.blogspot.com/

    Thank you,

    Kari

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...